Back To Listing

Only one-in-three South Australians believe ABS unemployment estimate

This special Roy Morgan SMS Survey was conducted on January 11-12, 2018 with a cross-section of 521 South Australians aged 18+.

A special Roy Morgan SMS Survey taken on January 11-12, 2018 shows only 32% of South Australians believe unemployment in the State is close to 5% or less, while two-thirds believe the figure is closer to 10% or higher (41% say closest to 10%, 15% say closest to 15% and a further 12% say closest to 20%).

The latest South Australian Roy Morgan real unemployment and under-employment figures for the December Quarter 2017 show unemployment of 10.9% and under-employment of 9.5% for a total unemployment and under-employment of 20.4% in South Australia compared to the latest ABS unemployment figure for South Australia of 6.1% for November 2017.

This special Roy Morgan SMS Survey was conducted on January 11-12, 2018 with a cross-section of 521 South Australians aged 18+.


Perceptions of Unemployment in South Australia – Analysis by political affiliation

“Do you believe unemployment in your State (South Australia) is closest to 0%, 5%, 10%, 15% or 20%?”

Total

South Australia

Electors

Liberals

SA Best

ALP

Greens

Australian Conservatives

Other

Non electors

 

%

%

%

%

%

%

%

%

%

0%

1

1

0

1

2

0

0

0

0

5%

31

31

27

28

39

50

18

26

26

10%

41

41

49

45

32

30

45

48

38

15%

15

16

10

13

14

18

27

14

24

20%

12

11

14

13

13

2

10

12

12

TOTAL

100

100

100

100

100

100

100

100

100


SA State Voting Intention

SA Election

March 15, 2014

SMS Morgan Poll
October 1-2, 2016

SMS Morgan Poll
Jan 11-12, 2018

% Change since
SA Election

 

%

%

%

%

Liberals

45

36.5

32

-13.0

SA Best

-

19.5

28.5

+28.5

ALP

36

24.5

23.5

-12.5

Greens

8.5

11

9

+0.5

Australian Conservatives

-

-

3

+3.0

Other

10.5

8.5

4

-6.5

TOTAL

100

100

100


Michele Levine, Chief Executive Officer, Roy Morgan, says:

“The South Australian electorate is divided about who to vote for at the State Election in March. The party that can put forward believable policies addressing the key issues of jobs and a guaranteed energy supply will win Government. 

“Since the 2014 State election ALP support is down 12.5% to 23.5% and Liberal support is down 13% to 32% with the drop in support for the main parties going mainly to new party SA Best now at 28.5%.

“Since the Labor Government was first elected in 2002 they have not sought to deal with the major issue of 'real' South Australian unemployment (now at 10.9% in the December Quarter 2017). Instead they’ve 'covered it up by' increasing Government jobs and Government spending – like other State Governments across Australia - a 'false' economy and unsustainable.”

Finding No. 7457 – This special Roy Morgan SMS Survey was conducted with a representative cross-section of 521 South Australians on January 11-12, 2018. They were asked “Do you believe unemployment in your State (South Australia) is closest to 0%, 5%, 10%, 15% or 20%?”

Results analysed by Roy Morgan Helix Personas are available on a subscription basis.
www.HelixPersonas.com.au

For further information:

Contact

Office

Mobile

Gary Morgan:     

+61 3 9224 5213  

+61 411 129 094

Michele Levine:       

+61 3 9224 5215  

+61 411 129 093